Tuesday 13 March 2012

Who is your 'Style Icon'?


Who is your style Icon?

Two weeks ago at college we were all given our third and final editorial shoot. My hands sweating…I know it sounds stupid but I really do get nervous before finding out what our next challenge is. I think it is because I care and I want to do it to the best of my ability.

The shoot is tomorrow Wednesday the 14th of March. We are shooting a male and female model this time. That’s two outfits and two lots of mind scrambling for me…..arrrggghhhh.

SO where do I head? You are so right, Manchester. Two to three visits trying to get the right bits and pieces. I have an idea in my head then can’t find the blooming stuff.

This shoot is about ‘Style Icons’. What is a style icon though? You will already have someone that has just sprung to mind. Someone you love and you think have the unbelievable epitome of style. You may have modelled yourself on them through your life or just stood back and admired from afar.

If you were to ask your other half or even your best friend they probably no doubt have a completely different viewpoint? There is not a right or wrong answer.

I am very nosey and I would love to know who you would choose? If you can and it does not take too much of your time leave your answers in the comments section below?

So, who have I chosen? A little weird I know but remember I have to style this for a photoshoot so I wanted to think out of the box and give myself a little bit of a character to work with.

My male is Charlie Chaplin. ‘Charlie Chaplin’ I hear you say…’What on earth are you thinking?’

Pretty Cool Hey?


Yes he is scruffy but with a slight coolness in a way. If you look at Johnny Depp now he wears the shirt and tie and hat but also in an unkept way. Style today has definitely taken a turn in this direction all you need to do is look at ‘Vivienne Westwood’ and for high street take a look at ‘All Saints’, it’s cool, hip and very arty with the supposedly look of not trying at all.

My female icon is a cross between Marilyn Monroe, Dita Von Teese, Betty Boop and Minnie Mouse. I am in love with the fifties. Out of whom I have chosen there is only one actually from the fifties….Marilyn Monroe. Dita Von Teese has great style taken for the fifties, Minnie Mouse was drawn firstly in 1928 but to me has a great sweet look that could be 1950’s and as for Betty Boop she is from the 1930’s and was looked upon as the first sex symbol on screen and when I look at her I see 1950’s….she must have been way ahead of her time. Infact, take a look at the pictures did Marilyn Monroe have Betty Boop as her style icon?
Marlyn Monroe.
Dita Von Teese
Betty Boop
Minnie Mouse.


1950s is a huge fashion trend at the moment, the Spring/Summer 12 catwalks were full of it. Some of the designers taking their inspiration from that era are; Daks, Dolce and Gabanna, Prada and Rochas.
With my outfits ready to go,……..well nearly. Still have a little customisation (that’s sticking stuff to a head band with some glue) to do for my female model. I am packed and ready to head back down to London.

I will have the photos to show you as soon as they are done.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment